As a firm we want to provide you with the highest standards of legal service possible. This document sets out what you can do if you feel that hasn’t happened.

However, before a situation reaches that stage, we welcome discussion and value openness. If at any stage you wish to speak to us generally about how your case is being handled by us, please say. We will treat this seriously and listen to you. Often communication is key to avoiding bigger problems and we are committed to this.

So, at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

What you should do first

In the first instance, you should contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns with them and notify Katie Spooner by email at A free consultation will be offered to discuss and try and resolve the issues.

If the issues remain unresolved and you would like to make a formal complaint, then this should be set out in writing and addressed to Katie Spooner and sent by email to or by post to Family Law in the City, Octagon Point, 5 Cheapside, London EC2V 6AA.  Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

We will endeavour to acknowledge complaints within two working days and will begin to investigate the matter. A full response to your complaint will be provided within two to six weeks depending on the issues and the level of investigation required.

What to do if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves.  They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have tried but this has not been successful, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint;
  • No more than six years from the date of act/permission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

For more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please visit:

What to do if you are unhappy with our behaviour

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour.  This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

For more information about the Solicitors Regulation Authority please visit: SRA | Solicitors Regulation Authority | Solicitors Regulation Authority


Get in touch